Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Waking up


Since I was younger I had a strong desire to go to Africa and show love to children who might not even know the true interpretation of the word. Now I know that this desire was not put in my heart randomly, but It is an aspiration that God had placed within me. Recently, my friend's parents who were nurses in Germany moved to Uganda, Africa to be part of a mission. They work in the clinic and interact with the orphans in their orphanage where they are being taught, cared for, and provided with the opportunity to have a future, not letting their temporary state define the rest of their lives. (Vision for Africa).  My friend, who currently lives in Germany, and I are beyond excited to have the privilege of being part of this mission in October. We will spend a month living with her parents and helping them out every chance that we get. We'll be able to assist them in the clinic, interact and spend time with the children in the orphanage, and weekly we will go out on the streets providing people with clothes, medicine, and food. Many of the kids on the street are NOT orphans, however, their families don't have the money to give them what they need or put clothes on their backs, requiring them to be naked and even walk without shoes, causing many illnesses. My friend's father just recently started this project, which is called "Compassion". Before I leave I will definitely try to raise as much money as I possibly can to bring with me so I can truly be a part of making the difference that is much needed in a country like Uganda. To say that we are well off would be an understatement to these children whose basic needs have yet to be met. We live in a place where everyone knows about Charlie Sheen's latest news, but have no idea that every 14 seconds, a child loses a parent due to HIV/AIDS. Think about it. Every 14 seconds! (as shown in this video). These kids aren't in need of our sympathy, we need to wake up and actually do something! 

2 comments:

  1. you go, girl. i hope you blog lots about it. i linked to you today as i posted about invisible children.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I randomly stumbled across your blog when I was googling images for Invisible Children! Seems like your trip is coming up very soon- I wish you the best of luck and think it is truly amazing and inspiring what you're doing there. You and your friend will be in my prayers as you make your trip this next month!! Bon Viaje!!
    ~Lauren from Texas:)

    ReplyDelete